Saturday, April 18, 2009

submitted by prune wickstrom, iroquois st. laurium

Chicago Drape

A style of wearing one’s pants low that comes about naturally. This is a consequence of a man or a kid possessing thin, insubstantial buttocks, causing the seat of his trousers to bag low, therefore containing nothing. Two famous Chicago Drapists in the early ‘50’s were Billy Klintti and a Hill who we went to high school with (first name not necessary). When Billy Klintti, an older guy who was one of the fastest potato pickers I’ve ever seen, bent over to pick spuds for the Moyles, the effect was fully pronounced, with the seat area of his pants that hung down to his knees almost as big as the back stop behind home plate. (A true Chicago Drape is perfectly natural and not to be confused with the proclivity of young men today pretentiously wearing their pants low for no good purpose.)

“He’s pulling a dirty mean Hill,” I once remarked to Pete (or it may have been the other way around), observing some skinny guy from Blue Jacket unconsciously displaying a magnificent drape as he walked down the sidewalk on Fifth Street. Might have been a Baratono or an Osterman (Ullen would know, same grade in high school). The baggy, over-sized, olive-drab ROTC pants that hung loosely from his bum considerably enhanced his Drape.

(I’ve got a cousin in Finland whose Chicago Drape forms a pouch.)


A Dirty Mean “Legga”

Letting go a good one, especially if it is not only loud, but potent. It brings a smug pleasure to the one who released the stink but only if it causes those standing too close to gag.


A “Freppy”

A guy who exaggerates his sense of importance, especially a young buck experiencing growing pains. In other words, someone who is totally obnoxious and therefore useless, regardless of whatever talent he may possess. (I had to scratch my head recollecting this one, but I heard it used on several occasions, and used it myself.)

It also applies to one who uses language too polite for his age. Someone stepped in a cow pasty: a good, fresh sloppy one, making a huge mess while running through Maple Bush near the spring where Peltoniemis allowed their cows to roam. I believe it was Stinky. “Oh my gosh, Allen, you’ve got bathroom on your pants,” someone remarked. I remember who it was but it would be uncouth to reveal his name, even though the incident occurred more than 60 years ago.


Brown Off

The inability to accomplish even the easiest task or perform the simplest function. When it came to playing softball, I was totally useless. Even if the ball was suspended from a string, I would’ve had a hard time hitting it. May have come from trying too hard, but most likely, from an absence of talent. (Runs in the family: my dad could never catch a football.) When the tying run was needed, I struck out, costing the game played on the empty lot on the corner of Seventh and Iroquois. “He browned off again”, came the lament from my teammates.


No comments: