Thursday, February 11, 2010

from prune wickstrom

Pete,


Just between you and me, looking at those pictures of Ullen in California, when it comes to teeth, he just can’t win. He was almost better off with that peg than with that mouthful of Roebucks he’s got now.

What ever happened to Brynolf Heikkinen? I still remember him looking straight ahead walking down Pewabic Street. He was kind of a lonely lad as I recall.


A few more thoughts for public consumption:


Partridge hunting was real good, the fall of ’53. I remember a hunt on a bush road off the Lake Linden-Gay road. You, I, Arnie Peterson and someone else, maybe it was Jimmy Makela each got a bird on that hunt and flushed up a lot more. One or two birds a season was good hunting.


Talking about Jim Makela: Jim, Lloydie Randell and I were out in the Peltoniemi’s cow pasture plinking with our twenty-twos when a big hawk flew over. Jim let fly. “Those hawks are really tough birds. I could hear my bullets hitting him,” he said. It was true. It flew away as though nothing had happened. The bullets must have bounced off.


I had no luck as a trapper. Tried for muskrats at the slop ditch near the Laurium Dump with Kenny Laplander. Got nothing but a lousy rat. Which reminds me of a couple more nicknames. My dad told me earlier that Shadow was coming over for a visit with the original list I sent.


Richard “Gitchie” Granroth

Paul “Balsa” or “Salt” Marjamma.

“Bullet” Goulette


“Gitchie Kilapala and Sally Karvakko were united in holy matrimony by the Reverend Eino Tukkanen of Jacobsville. The couple will reside at the Laurium Dump where the groom is employed.”


Remember that one from the strawberry farm in Jacobsville? I wasn’t there but you told me about the Reverend Tukkanen, which I’ll never forget.


No comments: